Sunday, August 30, 2009

Love Your Enemies

There are those who support dangerous things and policies, or who have just shut me out of their lives entirely for no real reason, but I find myself praying for them at least daily:
Gary Sauers, Brenda Sheare, Barack Obama, Justin Andrew Jones, and formerly, Sen. Edward Kennedy...among others. I thought I was going bat-shit crazy for doing this, and didn't really know why I even cared to until I opened up the old digital Bible this morning and stumbled upon

"But I say unto you Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you and pray for them that despitefully use you and persecute you." - Matthew 5:44

It's reiterated in Luke 6:27 & 35, even in red letters in some Bibles, and I've been doing this for a while now. It's easy when you consider about the people that hurt you that lot of them are lost in their own little worlds and fantastic delusions, oblivious to the destruction they wreak because they are under someone else's spell. A few actually believe they are doing good by doing harm, a FOOL-osophy popular in dispensational pseudo-Christianity and other irrational screw-ools of non-thought. Fewer than that really have a genuine malicious intent; most act out of blind rage, blithering ignorance or (as so many of my offenses have been) mind-boggling stupidity. Since love is never wasted, I'm hunting through the pages of my memory for those that drew a circle to shut me out and drawing one to take them back in again. A big one! I got plenty to be forgiven, so it just seems the best part of compassion, to say nothing of wisdom and valor.
One in particular on my mind every minute of every waking hour since leaving a year ago this date, I cannot help but lift (some "father" I am; should have at least given you an X&O before you went)!

P.S:
Everybody's saying how we aught to pray for Teddy Kennedy's soul now that he's dead. Seems to me he could have used it a lot more when he was alive, and it might have made a difference (1 Timothy 2:1-6)...Just sayin'.

2 comments:

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

since i've broken all of the commands and although i love reading the bible..im not big on letting a book tell me how to live my life..if i did..it would be atlas shrugged..

Ted Amadeus said...

Not bad as an alternate.
I find they dovetail, amazingly enough.
Ironic that some of the best instruction I ever received on believing The Word came from an atheist (Ayn Rand)!