"Religion is for people who are too lazy to believe the Bible."
- Will Rogers
Saw these signs all over the place a couple months before the election, and they're still plenty around.
It reads "PRAY & FAST to end abortion." That's right, the holier-than-thous of the unregenerate, allegedly-"moral" majority are on the warpath again...The fine folk that like to bitch about everything you do, then wonder why you won't go to their stained-glass whorehouse on the street corner. For the benefit of
1. Most of U.S. have not been, and continue to be unimpressed or "inspired" by Pat Robertson, "the new, improved" Jim Bakker (now with lanolin and emulsifiers to keep your brain soft and wrinkle-free) or Pope Benny as we were with Jerry Falwell, Jimmy Swaggart or Jim Bakker (original) when he got caught with his hand in the till before. Since these seem to be your heroes of choice, you might want to consider what kind of message that sends.
2. Denominational religion in general - and Vaticanism in particular - bares about as much resemblance to the church described in the Book of Acts and following as a bald eagle does a coral reef. Ditto your Canon Law and Dogma when anybody who can read lays the Bible upside it...Could you get some engineers to work on this centuries-old problem? It gives the "un-churched" the unnerving impression you don't know what the fuck you're talking about, for some strange reason...to put it mildly!
3. If your priests would kindly quit corn-holing little boys and knocking eachothers' boots off, their street-cred when blasting homosexuality might tick northward a bit. Ditto TV preachers that can't keep their pants on drecking "sanctity of marriage/abstinence now/sin of adultery!!!". Since you claim so half-heartedly to believe in marriage and decry promiscuity, maybe you could demonstrate by letting these horny old birds with backward collars get married...Hopefully to the nuns or church ladies their knocking on the side anyway, instead of eachother, since they also claim to believe that's sin.
4. To the heart of the matter: If you don't want an abortion, you don't have to get one! Nobody will lift a finger to force you. Notice I'm not sitting here on my blinding-white pro-choice high horse with a Winchester pointed at your dome, threatening to perforate it if you don't run out and insist on a late-termer. You have no right to make that call for somebody else! Period. End of story. That's why the politicians are not taking you seriously, either (One of the FEW smart things they do).
5. Perhaps - just perhaps - if you teach your brats about contraception and stop making them get abortions to cover up teenage pregnancies because of what "the Joneses" might think, you would not only increase your credibility to unprecedented levels, doing so as a group might well bring a precipitous drop in demand that could ruin the abortion "market" altogether.
Just a few thoughts since you seem to have so much trouble thinking for yourselves, but want to control everyone else's minds and lives "for their own good" anyway. Galt-in-Da-Box is your friend, and seriously wants to see you live that life more than abundant Jesus Christ came to make available. Along that line, my good friend JackieSue Denney dared pose the question "Why doesn't that sign read 'Fast, Pray and Adopt'?" and my working theory for answer is it would require walking the talk instead of just talking the walk: Since church is largely nothing but a social club for those who want to look and feel good instead of be right, it would be a train-wreck. I'm not atheist but I don't wonder there are so many of them about when I see how religious birds operate. At least the freaking atheists are trying to use their brains.
I'm sort of forced to conclude that religion explains God about as well as evolution explains creation!
UPDATE/And Another Thing:
6. Why is it that I have never met a lady that was anti-choice?
It's ALWAYS a dude, ranting about murder and immorality (though he usually has no qualms about living off others thoughtlessly through a welfare/social(istic in)security/SSI/gov't workfare check. Maybe George Carlin was spot-on: "Ya ever notice that most abortion protesters are people you'd never wanna fuck in the first place?"
That's gotta be the best pro-choice one-liner ever!!!