Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Tale Of Two Asses

How government "helps" people:
An individual knowledgeable in the ways and workings of Washington D. C. (a 21st Century politrickster) moved back home and bought a donkey from an old farmer for $100. The farmer agreed to deliver the donkey the next day.
The next day the farmer met the bureaucrat and said "I'm sorry, but I got some bad news for you...The donkey died."
"Then just give me my money back and we'll call it even."
"Can't do that." Said the farmer. "I already spent it."
"OK then, just unload the donkey." The bureaucrat said.
"What are you going to do with a dead donkey?" The farmer asked, rather puzzled.
"I'm gonna raffle him off."
"You can't raffle off a dead donkey!!!" The farmer exclaimed.
"Sure I can, watch me!" The bureaucrat grinned menacingly. "I just won't tell anybody he's dead."
A month later the farmer met up with the bureaucrat from Washington again.
"What happened with that dead donkey?"
"I raffled him off! I sold 500 tickets at $2 each and made almost a cool grand."
"Didn't anyone complain?" The farmer pressed.
"Just the guy who won," the bureaucrat grinned.
"So I gave him his two bucks back."

It's really kinda funny...Until you stop to consider whose money paid for the dead donkey...
Twice!
Government "helps" itself the most when it claims to be helping others, but that's altruism by any name!

*Hat-tip to Brian and Kris Bex at The Remnant Trust for sharing this little gem with me!

1 comment:

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

anytime the government wants to 'help?'..grab your wallet and put your ass to the wall..your going to get robbed AND fucked.