Thursday, October 8, 2009

Who Said This?

I used to attribute this quote to Ayn Rand, but found out recently that was error:
"Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth; more than dishonor, destitution, or even death itself! Thought is subversive and radical, anarchical and revolutionary: It is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid; it is great and swift and free: The light of the world, and the chief glory and duty of man."
Your guess (This is a closed-notebook test, so no sneaky Googling or Binging!)?

5 comments:

King Leo said...

Tell Bertrand Russell that I can't get into FB.

|W|

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

haven't a clue..but I used to think all the smart quotes I knew were by Ayn Rand..ha

Ted Amadeus said...

You took it Leo.
Jackie Sue, I thot so 2. Ayn Rand continued and built on the Libertarian philosophical work for which Frederick Douglass laid the foundation.

texlahoma said...

I didn't know who it was, even though Libertarian is basically what I am.

Ted Amadeus said...

Good to have you aboard, tex.
I'm sure there are areas where we disagree, but I got fitted out for my tinfoil hat when America got amBushed & stabbed in the back by a frothing-at-the-mouth statist authoritarian from Crawford, TX.
We voted for Churchill & got Chamberlain and MacCarthy instead!