Thursday, November 4, 2010

Making A Difference

One evening as the sunset on the coast, a man was walking his dog along the beach when he chanced to see a little boy throwing something into the ocean.
As he drew closer he almost stepped on a couple starfish, and realized the beach was thick with them.
"What are you doing?" He asked the lad.
"The tide came in and washed all these starfish up here. I'm throwing as many back as possible before they die."
The man reacted with dubious amazement. "Son, this beach is hundreds of miles long and there are thousands of starfish...You can't make any difference."
Undaunted, the boy picked up another starfish, lobbed it into the ocean and replied
"I made a difference for that one!"

That boy was John F. Kennedy.
Every once in a while, God puts me in just the right place and time to make a difference. Today it was while cleaning a bathroom stall, of all things. I looked up on the paper dispenser and there were two rings sitting on it. They didn't look like anything of value. In fact they had the feel and appearance of cheap, costume jewelry. I did not realize at the time this was because they were old and tarnished. Still, you can never be too certain how much sentiment is attached to a personal item, and I'm certainly not an appraiser. It was about that time that Still, Small Voice of God that's kept me out of countless troubles and brought me through a miraculous "family reunion" of sorts said "Hang on to those, keep your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut: I'll bring the owner to you." Not half an hour later, my boss's boss called me, asked if I had cleaned up-front, if I had come across a couple rings that had gotten away from her...I said I'd be right to her office.
Similarly, a couple days back, against the tide and advice of many, I rejoined the ruling minority by voting. I didn't vote last time, and the results were disasterous! Even if your choices lost, like most of mine, I hope you did take advantage of your chance; your small opportunity to make a difference...
It's those little opportunities that make life worthwhile!

2 comments:

Master Doh-San said...

Sorry to be the one to tell you this, but that starfish story is older than JFK. Makes a good point, though.

texlahoma said...

Excellent post dude. I'm glad you found them. I've had a couple of experiences kind of like that, it sticks with you when you do the right thing.